SOLUTION

I picked up an old Brother PE-180D that uses the PED-Basic software.  I experienced this same issue and found what worked for me.  The software is OLD.  But makers are still putting out PES files.  Newer files may not be compatible with the old PED-Basic.  You essentially have to save the new file as an older version (similar to saving a docx file to a doc so that older versions of software can read the document file).  Here is what I did: I installed inkscape (free) and the extension ink/stitch.  I opened the PES file that I can't view through the PED-Basic software.  I went to file / "save as" - entered a modified name of the file (to preserve the original) and selected Brother pes from the file type options provided.  And voila!  When I went to PED-Basic and opened the folder where I saved the "converted" file, there it was!! Now I can use all those pes files that seemed like they were incompatible!  Hope this helps others! 

• Like 1
On 2/18/2023 at 2:34 PM, Junebug1953 said:

SOLUTION

I picked up an old Brother PE-180D that uses the PED-Basic software.  I experienced this same issue and found what worked for me.  The software is OLD.  But makers are still putting out PES files.  Newer files may not be compatible with the old PED-Basic.  You essentially have to save the new file as an older version (similar to saving a docx file to a doc so that older versions of software can read the document file).  Here is what I did: I installed inkscape (free) and the extension ink/stitch.  I opened the PES file that I can't view through the PED-Basic software.  I went to file / "save as" - entered a modified name of the file (to preserve the original) and selected Brother pes from the file type options provided.  And voila!  When I went to PED-Basic and opened the folder where I saved the "converted" file, there it was!! Now I can use all those pes files that seemed like they were incompatible!  Hope this helps others! 

I just tried this and it did not work for me.  Sigh.  Ped Basic still can't see any of my .pes files.  Not the old ones I had from before i got the Windows 10 laptop when my old laptop died recently. Not new ones made with newer programs.  Not one I just tried to save with ink stitch.   I'm wondering if it is a glitch in the Windows 10 version of the Ped Basic software.  I called Brother tech support and they said, "I'm sorry.  We do not an available troubleshooting for this issue."  They suggested I contact a local Brother dealer for tech support on this.  This is truly crappy support from Brother.

• Like 1