My new Janome 15000 embroidery machine

I bought Janome 15000 on Monday.  The bobbin threads differently but the area is basically the same, just that you can wind the thread around and cut it and it stays put - no more tails to get in your way. You can still have things go the same way for gathering and if that is your choice. I haven't tried the embroidery yet, but have hooked up to WiFi and it recognizes my iPad, but I'll need time to play with that before I can report back on it's usefulness, from my point of view. It is a wee bit bigger than the 12000, but not substantially - the hoops are the same and you get 5 as well as many, many feet. There is also a lovely storage box, soft sided with a zipper and in it 3 layers to put in all the accessories that come with the machine and space for many of the optional ones that you may already have or wish to purchase. 

When I went to sew, I had to look for something to sew as I've just had my sewing space renovated and everything was packed away. My bins have been brought back in from the garage, but no organization so I fumbled about a bit and took me a half day to find what I wanted - the pad I'd made to put the machine on - it still needed to be quilted. I just sewed some straight lines on it with the new machine - acuflex foot works great. The ¼" foot is accurate which is a plus as many times I wondered about that - you always got consistency if you fed the fabric along the guides, but sometimes the ¼" was a bit off - this one seems OK, but I didn't measure as what I sewed didn't need that accuracy - just went by sight, to form my opinion. 

Anyone who has purchased the machine and figured out the iPad stuff, please post what you know. We can learn this together. 

Another note: I've watched the DVD, loaded Horizon Link and perused the manual. The manual has some grammatical errors, so someone didn't do their editing well, but as far as manuals go, it is OK. One really needs to DO to learn - the manual is a tool to help with that. Watching YouTube videos helps a great deal and there are many of those and the videos that Janome has done are excellent as well. Just because the machine is new, don't lose track of all that has been done previously on other machines as most information is transferable. 

As the kids in the playground would yell when they felt jealous about something another child had, yah boo it stinks so do you. 

Sigh I do so miss my little embroidery machine, my Taj is lovely, but for running a quick test stitch, or a small 5x7 design my old 10k was perfect. No moving hoop support arms, no plotting the centre point of origin, and it was sooo very quiet, I could hear myself think. Ah well, who knows Santa might read my Christmas wish list, and I have been good, well relatively good for me that is. 

• Upvote 1

the manual looks exactly the same size and has the same coil binding as the Janome  12000,but quite a few more pages - I think - never did use the manual for the 12 after I perused it when the machine was brand new to me. This one I'll probably have to check a bit more ofter because of the WiFi - I'm sure that my internet will go down from time to time and that will require setting it up again.

I am not one of those kids in the playground! I am toying with the idea of trading in my Janome  12000 on the 15000. I bought the 12000 on impulse without carrying out due diligence and made an expensive mistake. Before I take the plunge with the Janome  15000, I am going to gather all the information I can. I find that following the posts on this forum, especially when they address specific issues, extremely helpful. candacel, I appreciate your comments as you are a person who has bought and used most of the Janome models. 

I spent over 2 years researching various multi needle embroidery machines, I whittled the choices down to 3. All excellent machines, but the final decision was based on which one had the lowest power consumption when operating at full speed. The best after sales service, the best build qualities, the best future upgrading support. Only one make ticked all the boxes, and as Janome don't manufacture industrial single head 15 needle machines, I chose a Tajima. I'd made a mistake 5 years earlier was far too high a price to pay, and settled for a machine at half the price. 

Had a great manual, and a well stocked tool box, but build quality was dreadful. After sales service non existent, and ate electricity at a rate of knots. The manual for my new machine is printed on glossy paper, looks pretty, but is thoroughly confusing. I'm slowly rewriting it as I decipher the relevant parts for me, but it's so comprehensive its a nightmare. I have created my own idiot sheet, I've yet to make headway on the auto/manual offsets for applique, I'll get there, I've only had it for a year this month. 

My old Toyota expert 12 needle machine had a news print manual, paper cover, was a third the size, but was easy to follow and understand. Alas technology outstripped it so when my windows 95 computer finally failed, I was left with a non functioning machine and its software. I sold it for spares to a spares broker, parts were no longer being produced and the power/controller unit was in very scarce supply. 

Yes, Horizon Link (HL) is similar, but there is more options to choose from.I like my Digitizer MBX and understand it well, so didn't use the HL all that much. It was very handy to look at the designs move them around in the hoop, and send to the USB. It really is fast to load and find designs, contains all the machine designs. I find it nicer to look at the machine designs on the computer as even the icons are bigger than what they appear on the machine screen. 

The 12000 sews and embroiders beautifully but it has a stitch limit of 100,000 stitches which means that in order to take advantage of the large hoops, its necessary to either purchase light designs or resort to splitting designs. I have seen on an online retailer that the offered ipad is the mini and the offer will last for some while... Even if I am happy with my machines.

Actually I do not see that the machine has much changes. I  have played with it. the screen is larger, however there are still things that take up space on the screen which to me makes no difference and yes the wheel is gone but I do not see the screen being that much larger. Everything else is the same. the needle threader is nicer but I never had an issue with needle threader as long as its in the upmost posistion which is with all needle auto needle threader.

No matter which brand of machine you buy, a good supportive dealer is very important. The 2 local Janome dealers here are very good. One of the dealers also handles Bernina and Babylock so it is possible to do some comparisons in the same location. My friend has a TOL Babylock and is very happy with it. 

I am enjoying my machines - both my 12000 and 15000. 

The manual is made of the same quality and the stitch count on the 12000 is unfortunate and that has been corrected. I don't know why it can't be updated for upgraded, but I was informed by Janome that it is something on the motherboard and that was not upgradeable. 

I will not buy another Janome though unless they come up with something better in their customer service. 

One former Janome dealer near here, won't deal with them anymore, she says they do not care about there customers. I think the dealers and service make a huge difference with the happy Janome customers, but they can only do so much without company backing. I'm looking at Pfaff, Brother and the Babylock. I won't be buying right away as my Janome 10k performs well, and has very little time on it.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was just wondering if there is any way to download a small picture, I think they are called thumbnails, of all the different embroidery files that I downloaded. That way I would know which ones I have so that I don't double order the same ones. It would also make it easier to do a quick glance at them all on paper than to have to open all the files to see if I have it. 

Thank you for you time 

1 hour ago, respected said:

I was just wondering if there is any way to download a small picture, I think they are called thumbnails, of all the different embroidery files that I downloaded. That way I would know which ones I have so that I don't double order the same ones. It would also make it easier to do a quick glance at them all on paper than to have to open all the files to see if I have it. 

Thank you for you time 

Sorry, now this not possible, we realise it near time.

Cheers