Why is my bottom stitch so much nicer than my top stitch?

Hi everyone - I'm new to embroidery.

I did some running-stitch tests on a piece of leather, and I noticed that every single time the bottom stitch comes out nicely, while the topstitch looks like one straight line.

What can I do to improve the quality?

In the attached picture, the very fist and last running stitches are the "top stitch". The center stitching was when I turned the leather upside down and sewn it - so what you're seeing is the bottom-stitch.

Thanks for the help!

test.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 9/3/2018 at 8:47 AM, Lacoedo said:

Hi everyone - I'm new to embroidery.

I did some running-stitch tests on a piece of leather, and I noticed that every single time the bottom stitch comes out nicely, while the topstitch looks like one straight line.

What can I do to improve the quality?

In the attached picture, the very fist and last running stitches are the "top stitch". The center stitching was when I turned the leather upside down and sewn it - so what you're seeing is the bottom-stitch.

Thanks for the help!

test.jpg

I think your presser foot isn't sliding properly, it is something common when you are handling leather. Try placing a piece of wax paper or parchment paper over the topstitch. 

• Like 2