Help with Brother PE770 - Upper thread looping on bottom, almost no bobbin thread showing

My wife and I have had a Brother PE770 for a year or so and have been able to resolve most issues by running down the checklist (e.g. rethread, reset bobbin, clean bobbin area, etc), but this one has us stumped. All of a sudden the upper thread is stitching out very loose, with big open loose loops on the bottom and virtually no bobbin thread on the bottom at all.

See pictures of what's happening here:

Brother PE-770 upper thread problem

We've made no changes in how we embroider at all - standard upper and bobbin thread we always use, same fabric, same fonts, etc. This just started happening out of nowhere. It even "fixed" itself at one point in the middle of a pattern where it had been stitching out loose, only to go back to stitching loosely.

We've seen some posts online saying the upper thread tension is loose and we should increase the tension through the digital settings, but (i) we've tried that and it didn't work and (ii) we've never fiddled with those settings so it shouldn't all of a sudden need that digital adjustment.

We are a bit desperate and would love any help or tips!

• Thanks 1

Sounds like your tension disks are not working correctly. If adjusting the tension setting does not work you may have to go to your sewing shop for repairs . I usually contact brother support when there is something in the manual that sid not fix. They respnd by email in a day or two and is worth the effort before trekking to the repairman  . Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...