Jump to content

Beautiful design, Morning owl look amazing.

This embroidery work up perfectly and stitch out nicely. 
Buy Now

Excellent stitches and original style

Stitched out beautifully! Looked amazing and no issues!
Buy Now

Loving birds.. Wonderful designs, stitched out beautifully

Really cute, You love this when you stitched it. Would love more of same designs.
Buy Now

Our designs looks great

Stitched out beautifully! Wonderful decoration!
Buy Now

Adorable design. Stitches out beautifully.

"Thanks so much for this design It's lovely and stitched out beautifully on leather."
Buy Now
  • Sign in to follow this  
    (0 reviews)

    Testing the trapunto technique

    Original text by: Marina Belova 

    Trapunto embroidery technique, which produces an embossed effect, caught my attention long ago. Of course, I don't mean the traditional trapunto, but its machine embroidery counterpart. There are numerous materials on the subject; I've studied them, as I usually do, and came to the conclusion that doing something like that was within my powers. Therefore, several days ago I decided to bring a small project to life. 

    The most encouraging thing for me were the numerous affirmations that for imitating the trapunto technique any simple redwork design will do. 

    So I chose an image, which seemed interesting for my purpose. I created a design (7421 stitches), expecting for the batting to produce a raised surface in places with no filling. 

    trapunto-01.jpg.7c9e35beef67a5e28729d0b0

    Then I proceeded with my project according to the instruction I've found on the internet. 

    I chose ordinary calico for the right side, a piece of polyester batting 0,5 cm thick (not the one used for quilting, I don't have any, as don't yet have the compelling reason to buy it) and a tearaway stabilizer. 

    I hooped the following 'sandwich': a stabilizer, 2 layers of polyester batting, and calico: 

    trapunto-02.jpg.583ad26313ba70c4285e6757

    I started the embroidery and the first thing I stitched was the outline, according to which I will then cut the batting on the wrong side. I chose the threads that contrasted the background, in order to see everything well. 

    trapunto-03.jpg.0f99b083d0b6932d614224ec

    Then I took the hoop off the machine and, having overturned it, began to cut the batting as close to the stitching as possible: 

    trapunto-04.jpg.67f4db948fa0eace0ec40dd2

    Having trimmed all the extra pieces I sprayed another layer of batting with a temporary spray adhesive and secured it on the wrong side of the hoop. 

    trapunto-05.jpg.dadc19a49d0890cffddcec29

    Then I inserted this hoop together with the batting into the machine and put a piece of stabilizer under it. 

    trapunto-06.jpg.70891088a1b691fe87d559f7

    Then I embroidered the rest of the design: 

    trapunto-07.jpg.62c40ef4c21a51c15b1e9717

    The result turned out to be disappointing: 

    • The upper thread was all in loops and the tension was difficult to adjust with such a thick basis (fabric+polyester batting+stabilizer). 
    • The design had shifted because of the insufficient stabilization. 
    • There was no puffiness. 

    I had a sneaking suspicion that the chosen batting was a bit unsuitable for a design of this kind, which involved using the ordinary fabric, too. To be more precise it was entirely unsuitable. Plus, the design should be digitized in the other way. 

    After that, I decided to read some more on the subject. Therefore, my second attempt to seize the trapunto fortress began with: 

    • Making the design simpler 
    • Checking if the type of the fabric was suitable for my purpose in case I didn't have a proper quilting batting. 

    This time, I decided to make a simple design with a number of motif fills around the assumed puffy areas (the stitch count here is higher than in the previous design, i.e. 13365). 

    trapunto-08.jpg.fc75adc1115e3f435d3c3984

    First, I decided to test this design on the same fabric, i.e. calico. 

    I hooped my 'sandwich': stabilizer, 1 layer of batting polyester (the same as the last time), and calico. 

    trapunto-09.jpg.11e22c3b3fc978bc89738824

    Embroidered the design: 

    trapunto-10.jpg.5dcfea72295a2d6761dea651

    Trimmed the stabilizer on the wrong side. 

    trapunto-11.jpg.7f380a07885c85e0b7b3f3c4

    The petals became a bit raised, but not sufficiently so: 

    trapunto-12.jpg.81184f2b0a3b0859943cb6a7

    At that point, I decided to check if my suspicions about my batting being unsuitable for this type of fabric were true and to embroider the same design on knitwear with other components — namely, the stabilizer, 1 layer of polyester batting (the same as the last time), knitwear — remaining the same. 

    trapunto-13.jpg.cfdef58604e646b37fdeeb46

    During the embroidery I begin to see the long-desired puffiness — the surface of the petals became raised: 

    trapunto-14.jpg.c1659f720e807cc639b6ef6b

    This is how the ready embroidery looks when still in the hoop: 

    trapunto-15.jpg.b54cec67ff194925ac16b3e1

    And this is the look from the side — the puffiness in petals has been achieved: 

    trapunto-16.jpg.8bbde31015e7a45ff2a2202b

    Hence the conclusion: all ordinary fabrics require special batting, as for the knitwear and other stretchy textiles any one would do. 

    You should choose the design with care. Judging by the machine embroidery design collections in the Western shops, they prefer simple designs for this particular technique. I think, there is a grain of truth in it. 

    But it is not always possible, and you have to experiment. But it is even intriguing. 


    • Upvote 1
    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    There are no reviews to display.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...