HELP !!! Toyota ESP-9000 with Wilcom ES Software

DR Buck

HELP !!! Toyota ESP-9000 with Wilcom ES Software

Need some help here. We just upgraded our Forte software to the new Wilcom ES and can't get it to work with our Toyota ESP-9000. The ESP-9000 has the 9 pin serial port and is connected to the computer through a USB to serial convertor. The computer has Windows XP ( I will be switching to a new machine as soon as I get things working). Everything works with the Forte software, so my cable and USB converter are good. The proble...m has something to do with the software port settings in the Wilcom package and the button settings on the Toyota. Pantagrams web page says something about setting it up so memory #1 is open. The directions for this are not clear. This is where I need help.

1- Can someone confirm the port settings.    Both Wilcom and Pantograms say Select "Toyota Serial" - baud rate (9600) 8 data bits, 2 stop bits, partity= Odd, Flow control= hardware. I've tried this and all other combinations.

2- What is the complete sequence and button selections to open memory #1 on the ESP-9000 and send the design? Following the directions on the Pantagrams web page it seems like a step or 2 are missing. I've got over 20 hours into making it work with no success and both Wilcom and Pantagrams help desk have been unable to help. Wilcom says they don't know the machine particulars and Pantograms claims not to know the Wilcom software.

OK, I’ve spent several days digging around the net and through user/service manuals to help figure out options for making Wilcom work with the Toyota ESP-9000.  I’ve come up with basically two different ways to do this.     Since the details are nowhere to be found searching the internet I’ve written them up below.   I’ve successfully tested both options with Windows XP and Windows 10, so my assumption is it should work with all versions of Windows in between as well.

For either connection option you will need a cable between the computer and the ESP-9000.  Since most computers built in recent years do not have conventional serial ports and have only USB, my directions will only address using the computer USB port.   The Toyota interface requires a ‘Null Modem’ cable.  Do not use a standard RS-232 cable.   The connector on the back of the Toyota is a male DB9 connector.   You can use either a DB9 to DB9 null modem cable connected to a USB to serial converter, or the better way is to purchase a USB to serial (RS-232) null modem cable.   There are several different technologies used in these adapters.  The two common ones use either some sort of PL2303 or FTDI/FT232 technology.   Most any should work with Windows XP.  However, if you are using Windows 10 the FTDI technology is the most reliable.  It can also be used with the earlier versions of Windows as well.   The one I use and recommend is the “Startech 1 Port FTDI USB to RS232 Serial Null Modem Adapter Cable”.   It can be purchased for about $20 several places online.   I got mine at Amazon.   

Connection Option #1   (Wilcom Customer Support Method)

Using this option allows you to use the Wilcom built-in (software) Stitch Manager or Machine Manager.  Shortly after I figured out how to connect and use this option I received an email from Wilcom support that confirmed my findings and included very detailed instructions to set it up to make it work.   Although I did not choose this hookup method because it ends up being a basic one-way communication to the machine with no feedback to the computer, and does not transfer machine needle assignments.  However, I’ve decided to include it here for others to consider.

In the Wilcom ES package under the Setup menu enter the below settings into the Hardware Setup selection.  You can also enter the data in the Stitch Manager or Machine Manager setup screen.   Make sure you input the correct com port # for your USB cable to the Toyota.   In either case make sure you also select the Toyota output format, then save the settings.

Enter your machine name - Toyota ESP 9000

Machine format: Toyota
Protocol: Toyota Serial
Baud Rate: 9600 or 38400 (Depends on Toyota the control panel)
Data Bits: 8-bit
Stop Bits: 2
Parity - Odd
Handshaking - Hardware

or

Machine format: Toyota
Protocol: Toyota Serial
Baud Rate: 9600 or 38400 (Depends on Toyota the control panel)
Data Bits: 8-bit
Stop Bits: 1
Parity - Odd
Handshaking – Hardware

Note:  You may also need to make these data settings in your computer device manager for the chosen com port.    

Toyota Machine settings

• Make sure the DSW2 switch #8 (the top switch) on the ESP9000 control panel is off (pulled towards the front of the machine)
  • Also make sure that the COM Speed on the ESP9000 control panel is set to match the machine manager baud rate.
  • Machine Baud rate setting
    • Press Function
    • Press the down arrow “V” until you get to B. COM SPEED->
    • Press the right arrow “>” to change the speed to match the Machine Manager baud rate (I use 38400)
    • Press Set to save it all.
  • Toyota Steps
    Once a design is in queued up in the Machine Manager queue, loading the design from the queue into the ESP9000 is similar to loading it from a floppy:

• On the ESP9000 console press Data
  • Set the Input Data to PC by pressing the right Arrow “>”
  • It should display Input Data -> PC instead of Input Data -> 355
  • Press Set
  • Press 1 to load the first design from the Queue (2 for the 2nd etc.)
  • Press Set
  • The data light should start flashing indicating the design is being loaded.
  • You should see the design removed from the Machine Manager Queue as soon as it starts loading.
  • Assign needles, just as you would when loading a design from a floppy. You can assign needles while the design is still transferring.
  • It will beep once it is finished loading and the data light will stop blinking and come on solid again once the design is completely loaded.

Connection Option #2  -  My Preferred Method

This is the option I’ve settled on because it allows positive feedback to the computer showing progress as the designs are sewn out and it transfers needle assignment information directly to the Toyota along with the design.   Using this option you will use the Wilcom built-in (software) Connection Manager.  Using this method with a third party software the computer and Toyota ESP-9000 are connected using two-way communication allowing both a visual display of the embroidery progress and transfer of needle assignments from the software to the machine.   The third party software I used is called Expert Stitch Manager (ESM) and is a free download.   

When using this method, you will actually be outputting your design as a Toyota ESP-9000 file to a directory on your computer, then that file is selected through ESM and sent to the machine along with the needle assignments for sew-out.  ESM receives progress feedback from the Toyota as the design is sewn.

Set up Connection Manager in the Wilcom ES software (per instruction manual) making sure your design output is for the Toyota format.  (Tajima .dst files are what I use)   Set up and select a directory for file transfers to ESM.   I created a separate directory called ‘ESM Transfer’.   That way after each session I can go in and clear the directory out and not fill up my hard drive with files I have saved elsewhere.

Note - I also set my Wilcom ‘Machine Folder’ directory path to the same ‘ESM Transfer’ folder.  This allows me to select the larger “Send to machine Folder” embroidery machine shaped icon instead of the little “Connection Manager” icon.

Toyota Machine settings

• Make sure the DSW2 switch #8 (the top switch) on the ESP9000 control panel is ON (pushed towards the back of the machine)
  • Also make sure that the COM Speed on the ESP9000 control panel is set to match the machine manager baud rate.
  • Machine Baud rate setting
    • Press Function
    • Press the down arrow “V” until you get to B. COM SPEED->
    • Press the right arrow “>” to change the speed to match the Machine Manager baud rate (I use 38400)
    • Press Set to save it all.

Download and install ESM per the instructions provided with the software.   With the Toyota connected and turned on, open ESM.  Under the ‘Setting’ menu select ‘Serial Port’, then select the baud rate you set your machine at (I use 38400), followed by ‘Scan Ports’.   The software should list all serial ports found that are set at that baud rate.   Select the port for the Toyota.    You will have to do this “scan port” activity every time you startup ESM.   The good news is once you open ESM during an embroidery session, you can leave it open.

After ESM is open scroll to the directory (ESM transfer) and select the design you want to sew out and drag it into the large window.  Set your needle color assignments and send it to the Toyota. 

Hope someone finds this information useful and shares it around so others don’t go into panic and despair like I did when I discovered the new high $$$ Wilcom software I just bought wouldn’t work. 

Dave – Remington VA

Edited by diver361
Removed external link and advertizing
  • Like 1
  • 9 months later...

I have my Toyota ESP9000 connected via a USB (Com Port 4 from PC) to the serial (9 pin) on the rear of the machine. I have matched up the settings yet when I send the design to the machine, it shows the design being sent but the design never reaches anything above 0% on the PC. The ESP9000 then shows an error code on the machine display showing and R232 connection error. I'm now pulling my hair out trying to get it to work. Any ideas anyone?

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...