Best interfacing/stabilizer for hand embroidered designs on shirt

I have a question about my current project, and all my internet searches are giving different answers. :blink:I'm embroidering a shirt, kind of a theme design with two main larger designs (front and back), a handprint on one shoulder (if I can pull that off) and then quotes all over the shirt, kind of at random. I have the first design on the front done, and I just used stretchy iron-on stabilizer for that, but I'm wondering if that kind of stuff will give the shirt an odd look and keep it from sitting nicely if I use it for the little quotes. Someone told me about dissolvable interfacing - does anyone have any experience with that? Do you think it'll be enough to keep the shirt's integrity and give it a nice finished look? And if so, is there a specific one y'all recommend. I'm trying to find something on amazon. I can share the design idea if that'll help.

• Like 1

When it comes to stabilizing fabric for embroidery, there are many options available, each with its own unique properties. The stretchy iron-on stabilizer you used for the first design on the front is a good choice for areas that will experience a lot of movement or stretching, like the chest of a shirt. However, for smaller areas like quotes, it might be best to use a different type of stabilizer.

One option you might consider is dissolvable interfacing. This type of stabilizer is designed to dissolve in water, leaving behind only the embroidery stitches. It's an excellent choice for delicate fabrics or areas where you don't want the stabilizer to show through.

To use dissolvable interfacing, you'll first need to trace your design onto the interfacing and cut it out. Then, place the interfacing on the area of the shirt where you want to embroider and secure it with pins. Embroider your design as usual, and then soak the shirt in water to dissolve the interfacing.

There are many brands of dissolvable interfacing available on Amazon, so it's essential to do some research and find one that works best for your project. Look for one that's suitable for your fabric type and the type of embroidery you'll be doing.

In addition to dissolvable interfacing, you might also consider using tear-away or cut-away stabilizers for your quotes. These types of stabilizers are more robust and will help prevent the fabric from puckering or stretching during embroidery.

Ultimately, the best choice of stabilizer will depend on the specific needs of your project. However, I hope this information has been helpful in guiding you towards the right choice. Good luck with your embroidery project, and I can't wait to see the final result!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, diver361 said:

When it comes to stabilizing fabric for embroidery, there are many options available, each with its own unique properties. The stretchy iron-on stabilizer you used for the first design on the front is a good choice for areas that will experience a lot of movement or stretching, like the chest of a shirt. However, for smaller areas like quotes, it might be best to use a different type of stabilizer.

One option you might consider is dissolvable interfacing. This type of stabilizer is designed to dissolve in water, leaving behind only the embroidery stitches. It's an excellent choice for delicate fabrics or areas where you don't want the stabilizer to show through.

To use dissolvable interfacing, you'll first need to trace your design onto the interfacing and cut it out. Then, place the interfacing on the area of the shirt where you want to embroider and secure it with pins. Embroider your design as usual, and then soak the shirt in water to dissolve the interfacing.

There are many brands of dissolvable interfacing available on Amazon, so it's essential to do some research and find one that works best for your project. Look for one that's suitable for your fabric type and the type of embroidery you'll be doing.

In addition to dissolvable interfacing, you might also consider using tear-away or cut-away stabilizers for your quotes. These types of stabilizers are more robust and will help prevent the fabric from puckering or stretching during embroidery.

Ultimately, the best choice of stabilizer will depend on the specific needs of your project. However, I hope this information has been helpful in guiding you towards the right choice. Good luck with your embroidery project, and I can't wait to see the final result!

Thanks so much! That helps. I'm gonna order some dissolvable and tear away interfacing from amazon, and try em out.