This is the issue probably associated with the bobbin. You should always make sure that the bobbin is going through the tension from left to right.  You just need to tight the screw of the bobbing housing via turn method. Old machines have stuff like 'U'. And, please carefully look that threading is passing through this U or not.  If you did not see, you have to look carefully it may have broken. 

I basically love in working with those old-fashioned machines. I am always ready to help and I would have been even overwhelmed if I was there to help you. My mom is also very much interested in this old type and she got kenmore from a shop on $20. Initially, it has stitching problem. But, after cleaning it is ok now. 

Upper tension guides are available in the singer dealer shop. I have to look on my Bill for buying this machine. Really, this machine drags me in the memory of 30 years ago but I am not mocking. I am using 35 years old machine and owning more than 20 years. It really had repair shop. I saw the one last year.