Wilcom Digitizer V5 - Noob - Need Help

Hello;

I am new to digitizing, but not to graphics or software by any means. Trying to feel my way through Digitizer V5, with typically lousy documentation that everything seems to come with. If there is something in the software, should it not be explained in the flipping manual? These things are not, and it pisses me off to have to bash my head against this, hoping to luck out and find an answer. Rant off.

1) I am playing with changing object attributes, and as such the "Resequence" menu comes into play. I see there are "Object" and "Object Type", and that each item has a different icon describing its type. NOWHERE do I find any explanation of what each icon means?

2) If you had a word digitized, it seems to me that you would want each letter to have the same object type so that you could then also make its attributes the same as the rest to keep the appearance of each consistent. Not only are the object types different, nor can I find out what the icons mean, but I do not seem to be able to change the object type. What do these icons mean, and how do I deal with them?

3) When I save a digitized file, there are only three file types available (two variants of EMB, and one JEF). None of these are available in the Janome interface. Since this Wilcom software came with the 500E machine, should there not be some compatibility here? Since the file types are not compatible, I cannot make the machine "see" the files to import them. ???????

We've got other problems, but this will do for a start. Not looking for a free ride, just a nudge forward. Thanks for any and all advice.

• Like 1

Hi again;

Totally by accident, I did find those object icons in the software. While searching the internet in in near futility, I found a Janome promotional video on just how great this new Digitizer MBX V5 is, and they happened to open the Digitize drop down menu on the left side of the page, and there the icons were. They made no mention of them, but I was able to see them, so I found them in my own software. I still have not found a description of the attributes of each, but at least I know what they are called, and there is some information to be gleaned from the name of each. This is a work still in progress.

This brings up more questions. As mentioned previously, I am digitizing a word, and while all the letters were created in CORELDraw with the same attributes, they are assigned different object types by the Digitizer. Three of the letters are designated as closed objects (Star icon). One of them is inexplicably designated as a Branching (the leafless tree icon). I can clearly see differences in the vector paths when I click on the letter (pink lines visible), and this also translates to how it stitches in True View. 

Beyond why the digitizer sees and then designates them differently, how can I create a new Closed Shape letter so that all of the attributes - such as stitch angle - can be made equal?

How many machines does Janome sell with this software? This utility has to be based on previous Wilcom embroidery software. Somebody out there has to know this stuff.......

• Like 1

OK;

It seems I will be doing my own thread to solve my own problems, and teach everyone (anyone?) else in the process. Not to worry. It's all good.

So, with experience in doing graphics and using CORELDraw, I intuited by what I saw that the digitizer did, that perhaps redrawing the object in question would allow the digitizer to render it differently, and indeed that turned out to be the case. I was able to change what the digitizer rendered as a "Branching" object (leafless tree icon) to a "Digitize Closed Shape" object (closed star icon). Thus, the list of attributes available was the same for all of my letters, and I could make them all consistent.

These letters are arranged in an arc, and I wanted to set the stitch angles so that they matched the angle of each letter. With the "A" designated a "Branched" object, not only was setting the stitch angle not available, but it broke the letter up into separate sections, with 4 different stitch angles that I could not change. This letter "A" was comprised of all sharp corners, and the digitizer "connected" cross corners from inside to outside boundaries, and created separate sections. By going back to CORELDraw and rounding the corners of the triangle at the center of the "A", the digitizer then eliminated the crossing vectors it had created, making the letter one solid object with an uninterrupted inside and outside vector border.

The pic below shows the pink vector lines the digitizer draws. I added the white lines in this pic to show how it originally drew it, offering it as a "Branching" object. By redrawing the vector design with round corners on the triangle at the center of the "A", it allowed the digitizer to draw the letter as a "Closed Shape." Then, I could change the stitch angles as I wanted.

Wilcom software Problem

• Like 1

By making that pesky "A" a Solid Object, I was then able to stipulate the stitch angle for each letter in keeping with proper perspective, making them parallel to a line connecting to my imaginary vanishing point below the letters. Even though the letters themselves are very random and messy, setting the stitch angles of the fill to match the arc the letters are laid upon makes for a very nice visual touch. Add in the zig-zaggy nature of the Tatami fill stitch, which fits the theme nicely, and it really pops.

Details make the difference!

Solid object in software

• Like 1

Here's something else I don't get;

Satin border stitch

You digitize the embroidery design, and even if you get a good scan that sees the satin stitch border as one solid object, you get garbage like this. Some of the satin stitch is even and smooth. Beautiful just like you want it. Then, there are sections that seem to have another layer on top that is 10-20% wider, and to what purpose? What is creating this? I have been playing with moving nodes and reshaping things, but to little effect.

Anyone out there got any experience with this? More crickets?

• Like 1

Pfffff....

Obviously, nobody knows anything about this Janome MBX v5 software. I myself did not know it was considered a Janome product. It's not a "Wilcom" product, and yet it is written by them for Janome, so it must be similar. Whatever.

I learned one thing that helped. You have to calibrate your viewing screen. Never heard of that in my life, but you have to go in and measure the dimensions of a dialogue box and enter the measurements into the fields shown, and it recalibrates your work space. POOF.... most of the stitch anomalies disappeared. Now it looks almost like it should.

Now I need to learn how to change stitch angles manually. Some of the areas are really goofy.

Baby steps.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hey;

I've learned a whole bunch about this software since my last post. Typically, a lot of problems are down to unfamiliarity with the software.  So too is the program fairly memory intensive, and having a strong computer is helpful. Some of the issues I have had have been like back in the Win95 days when stuff crashed all the time.

However, I'm pretty well convinced that the software is a bit wonky even under the best of circumstances. I've gotten some real goofy stuff happening at times, even on startup, before doing a thing. I have been able to sew out some pretty impressive patches, and despite the foibles, it is a very capable program.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to help. I'm by no means an expert, but I've learned a pretty fair bit!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hey Alecu;

Glad you got your issues resolved. I have learned that many of my problems stemmed from the fact that I didn't know what I was doing. Not surprising. In discussions with Terry at Janome USA (the LONE tech adviser), I have decided that a powerful computer is very helpful. I perhaps am working the software harder than most people; creating embroidered patches with heavy stitch counts. The software is pretty data intensive in my application, and a generic computer will make the software a bit unreliable. The computer will not be able to process the heavy data requests quickly enough, and it will gag. Still, in the end, I also continue to believe in the end that the software is a bit buggy. It does very random things on a fairly regular basis.

Unlike back in the WIN95/98 days when it was a regular solution, Terry recommended AGAINST reloading the software because it only gives you 3-4 loads before the license is exhausted. We have it on two machines already, so I have soldiered on and I just try to take my time and not throw too much at the software too quickly.

I have learned a TON about this software. I got some really good advice from Terry, but most of it I have learned by bashing my head against it, and some skill has been pounded in as a result. I've been able to create far better designs with this software than the Janome machine is able to do justice to, I think. If I am lucky, I may have the opportunity to test my creations on more powerful machines in the future. I'm fairly confident that, while a bit wonky, this software can create some pretty sophisticated creations. They certainly don't give it away by any means, but compared to full blown Wilcom digitizers in the 5-figure range, it is a relatively powerful bargain.

If anyone out there needs help, I'd be glad to!

• Like 1

A vast majority of my lockups take place upon saving a file. Some exception to something I have done rears its head when I try to save it.

I should add that I have read, and was told by Terry, that it is helpful to take files that are in the RECOVER and BACKUP folders and clear them out. If you want documentation of them, create a folder where you can save them. Otherwise delete them because they can cause trouble.

Terry also suggested that I run the program on my WIN7 machine in compatibility mode, which has proven to sooth a number of ills associated with the software. All of these things I have done to combat the instabilities have helped, but nothing has completely solved the problems.

• Like 1

Stitch angles!

The secret to being able to correct these kinds of things is using a drawing tool that offers you the opportunity to create stitch angles wherever you need them. Without knowing all of the parameters at play here, this is what springs to mind. This is but one of the many lessons I have learned on my own.

For what it is worth, Terry @ Janome told me that she rarely if ever removes overlaps. Unless you are getting past three layers of fill type stitching, it is not necessary. So too have I found that so much overlap is necessary to keep even fairly wide areas from FAILING to overlap as you want them, that very narrow things like text and borders stitches will not even support removal of overlap upon stitch-out.

Finally, as Terry related, and I have come to realize, DIGITIZE BLOCKS is the ultimate satin stitch tool. I'm still learning how to create some really complex shapes to do satin stitch objects with it.

- John

Embroidered Patches

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Alecu Neamtu said:

Very nice piece of work!

Thanks. The owl patches (signifying US Military Black Operations SWAT) were perfect, and the design facilitated that greatly. If you look at the upper right corner of the Superman patch, you can see that the overlap of the border stitch "missed." Some of that was just failing to correct the part size in general, but it was also early days in allowing enough overlap in the design. Then too, with these complicated layouts, you really have to do a stitch out and learn what aspects fail because of pull, or simply do not stitch the way they look on screen.

To sit through a 1-2-3 hour stitch out knowing that it might fail - for a dozen different reasons - is depressing!

• Like 1

Inevitably, when I get the Screen of Death, it quickly thereafter comes with a shut down notice. there have been a few times when I have worked and later discovered this screen behind the work space, but not very often. Janome is tapped out on this, so it will indeed be up to Wilcom to fix their code.

Janome machine Error Code

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting;

I find it odd that we seem to be the only two people in the world - or on this forum - suffering from this?!?!

It has been my assumption that it is possible that the exception occurs because my computer is not "fast" enough - at least as "fast" as this software "requires", like a gaming or engineering computer - and that a save required too many decisions/tasks at once for it to handle. Just an assumption, and sort of hinted at by the Janome tech rep, if not outright confirmed. I have never really been able to find a solid pattern to it, like I just did a stitch edit and it freezes every time. It is not always when I save either. I've just decided it is an occasional hissy fit.

The biggest improvement was running in XP compatibility mode. It does not happen very often anymore, and I can manage to get some work done now, but is still does occur and is still annoying when it does. At least it saves what I have done, so I have not lost hours of work when it geeks.

I have not used Export File as of yet. When I first tried sending files directly to the machine, I could never get it to work, so I defaulted to dropping the file on a jump drive and doing it that way. This works fine and is not that much of an imposition, so I've never gone back to try and make the direct cable method work. Lazy.

These problems have faded down the list of difficulties in getting works to stitch right. Every project presents new challenges, but I am managing to get some decent output.

Tank embroidered design

31 minutes ago, Alecu Neamtu said:

Another nice piece of work but why these creases on the bottom right hand corner? I feel it's the stabiliser you are using, a tear away if to guess. 

I think you have to factor in the type of embroidery being done. This is solid area stitching with 60-70-80,000 needle strikes, which of course is far more intense than simply popping some letters or a flower on something.

Materials are just another problem in this process. I have purchased a fantastic twill patch material from an online supplier, but at $17US for 3.5ft/sq it is not exactly economical. I have been searching for a good alternative, but have not found it yet. This material is a 100% Olefin outdoor upholstery material, and 1/2 the price for 3x more material, but is a bit too loose in weave. I used a VERY heavy iron on drapery backer, and still got this puckering. For patches it does not matter, but for a garment this would not be satisfactory.

I'd sure like to find that shiny polyester adhesive backed fabric in bulk......

• Like 1