Which type/weight of bobbin thread to use - confused

I am new to machine embroidery and now need to buy some bobbin thread.  There seems to be so many different types and I'm looking for help.

I am currently using Brother 90wt polyester which isn't giving me any issues.  I've seen a 150s 5,000m cotton/polyester which would be more cost effective and I wouldn't have to keep buying thread but I don't know what the 150s means or what weight it is.

Help in deciding which thread to use would be brilliant.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Loopy Lucy said:

I am new to machine embroidery and now need to buy some bobbin thread.  There seems to be so many different types and I'm looking for help.

I am currently using Brother 90wt polyester which isn't giving me any issues.  I've seen a 150s 5,000m cotton/polyester which would be more cost effective and I wouldn't have to keep buying thread but I don't know what the 150s means or what weight it is.

Help in deciding which thread to use would be brilliant.

Hello Lucy.

The 150s relates to how many stitches per inch you get with that thread. Regular sewing thread, over locker thread is 120s so higher the number the thinner the thread. The thinner the thread the more stitches per inch you can get. Generally embroidery thread is 120s or 40 weight they are the same thing. Bobbin thread should really be thinner. So you can use 60 weight + or 150s + I use 40w/120s top thread and for the bobbin 60w/180s.

I hope this helps.

Regards. Dave

• Like 2