JANOME 10000 - Trying to update Version

Dear All, 

Long story....I purchased a new Janome 10000....but was in the box for 10 years! I purchased this from some old lady. 

So, now I want to upgrade to Version 3.0 with a CD. So, I followed all "rules" . My computer is 64 bit but instruction says the upgrade isnot compatible with 64 bit computer, so I got a 32 bit computer. I got an error when updating directly from computer to machine, so I transferred the files to a compact flash card. 

But, when I place the flash card in its adapter into machine in an update mode (white screen) I get big beep as well as an ERROR! on the screen. When i insert the compact flash card in machine and press the embroidery mode, the message comes saying "ATA PC card memory error, data may be damaged, asks me if I want to format...." but Pressing OK does nothing. 

Now I have reformatted flash card on my computer and reloaded all update files and tried again to nothing. Is there anything I should know? Any help pleased! Thanks in advance.DEN

It is 16 bit backward compatible with a 8 bit system in machine, hence you need older FAT format. Also 

Check the operating system of your XP computer, if it is XP sp3, try to re format the card and select FAT, then follow procedure for transferring update details to card. 

Thanks everyone, for your helpful suggestions. The problem is I have no option in my machine to format compact flash. I cant find option on Janome to format. when I put FAT formatted compact flash, Janome tells that I have to format ata card, asks if I want to do it. If i say OK but then there is a error. 

Go to "set" in the embroidery mode and "arrow through" the windows. One, I forget which one, will ask you if you want to format your card. Just say yes and it will do what it needs to. When I had my 10000 I did not have to format the card (must be less than 512mb) in my PC, just the machine. Be sure that you put your designs in the sub folder EMB5. 

found one, Janomes tech sheet for dealers to help machine owners. 

The following as detailed by Janome. Please read then copy and paste into a text editor or wordpad 

so you have a copy. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Janomes help sheets 

Formatting ATA Cards/USB Memory 

You may start with formatting your ATA/Compact flash card and/or USB memory in your PC first, then 

again in your Memory Craft: 

PC Formatting: 

Please follow the instructions below to format your CF cards/USB Sticks: 

1. Insert compact flash into computer. 

2. Close the Windows dialog box that appears. 

3. If you have Windows XP, double-click My Computer to open it. If you have Windows Vista, click 

Start, Computer. 

4. Right click on the compact flash drive. 

5. Click Format... 

6. Click File system FAT. Do not choose FAT32. 

7. Click the box "Quick Format" 

8. Click "Start". 

You will need to format the card in the Memory Craft if you do not see the appropriate folder(s) on 

your USB stick or Compact Flash card. You do this by inserting the USB or CF card in the machine and 

touching the Set mode button. Scroll forward until you see Format ATA Card and/or USB memory and touch 

the Yes button - this will place the correct folders/sub folder on the card in order for the machine 

to be able to read the designs from the card. 

You only have to do this one time; after setting up the folders, here is how to write .jef designs to 

your card: 

1. Remove the card from the embroidery machine. 

2. Insert the compact flash card into your computer. 

3. Launch Windows explore on your computer by clicking Start, Computer. Find the .jef design you want 

to write to the card on your cd. (Your design can be stored anywhere on the computer, such as on a 

hard drive or on a cd.) Right click on it to get a drop-down menu. Click Copy. 

4. Maneuver to the drive for the card. Double click on the drive to open it. If there is only one main 

folder on the card, right-click on it and choose paste from the menu - if there is a sub-folder inside 

the main folder, right-click on the sub-folder and choose paste from the menu - this will place the 

design inside the folder. 

5. Remove the card from your computer. Insert it into the embroidery machine. 

6. Touch the Open Mode button or touch the PC Card tab. 

Main folders and sub folders for all Janome embroidery machines: 

Note: when writing designs to memory for machines that have sub-folders, the designs must be written 

to the sub-folder, not the main folder. Designs within the sub-folder cannot be inside another folder, 

only the .jef designs themselves can be put inside the sub-folder. 

300E: Main folder Embf5 - no sub-folder 

350E: Main folder Embf5 - sub-folder MyDesign 

MC9500/9700: Main folder Embf5 - no sub-folder 

MC10000: PC_Link folder - no sub-folder 

MC10001: Folders Embf5 through Embf16 - no sub-folders 

MC11000: Main folder EMB - sub-folder EMBF 

MB-4: Main folder EMB - sub-folder EMBF 

200E: Main folder EMB - sub-folder EMBF 

Cards in 64mb size, the compact flash card adapters and USB sticks can be ordered from your local 

Janome dealer. The Janome part number for the card is 003CFCARD, and the adapter is 003PCADAPTER. 

Size of media cards/usb flash drives by machine 

200e 

USB flash drive 2gb or SMALLER 

Compact flash 2gb or Smaller 

300e 

Compact flash card 512 mb or smaller 

350E 

USB flash drive 1gb or smaller 

Compact Flash card 1 gb or smaller 

9500/9700/10000/10001 

owners of 1000/10001 with windows xp 32 bitservice pack 2 can use direct pc machine link usb cable 

link USB driver Jsmc850 

MC11k tools 

usb cable link usb driver jsmc860 

USB flash drive 2gb or smaller 

Compact flash card 2 gb or smaller 

11000SE 

same as 11000 

MB4 

M770 tools 

USB transfer cable 

ISB driver JsmcMul 

USB flash drive 2 gb or smaller 

compact Flash card 2 gb or smaller 

Machine stitch limits 

Each Memory carft machine model has a specific stitch limit, any embroidery design (JEF) within that 

stitch limit will transfer into the machine as one whole design. If that stitch limit is exceeded per 

one hooping, the design will be automatically be split into 2 separate designs, providing Janome 

software is used. 

MB4 200.000 stitches 

MC11000/11000SE 100,000 stitches 

MC9700/9500/350E/300E/200E 64000 stitches. 

Machine built in memory for design storage. 

MB4 Unit 3mb, RCS 3mb 

11000/11000SE 3mb 

10000/10001/9700/9500/350/300/ 720 kb (.thats less than a digital photo so be warned) 

200 524 kb, very small. 

hi linda ....

When I go to "set" in embroidery mode and arrow through the windows, the choices I get are - auto tension, remaininbg bobbin thread, grid line/grid size, center line (all on "Page 1"). When I go to next page (on screen), choices are: maximum speed set and color control. My only choice at this point is to scroll back - there is not another page. So, i dont find any option to choose to format. 
I can have designs on the complact flash card from computer - the sewing machine doesnt recognize compact flash. I think there is some problem in the machine for seating adaptor or with the drive. I hope this is not the issue, since its so old, there wont be any fix for this now. 

Thanks! 

Den

found one, Janomes tech sheet for dealers to help machine owners. 

The following as detailed by Janome. Please read then copy and paste into a text editor or wordpad 

so you have a copy. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Janomes help sheets 

Formatting ATA Cards/USB Memory 

You may start with formatting your ATA/Compact flash card and/or USB memory in your PC first, then 

again in your Memory Craft: 

PC Formatting: 

Please follow the instructions below to format your CF cards/USB Sticks: 

1. Insert compact flash into computer. 

2. Close the Windows dialog box that appears. 

3. If you have Windows XP, double-click My Computer to open it. If you have Windows Vista, click 

Start, Computer. 

4. Right click on the compact flash drive. 

5. Click Format... 

6. Click File system FAT. Do not choose FAT32. 

7. Click the box "Quick Format" 

8. Click "Start". 

You will need to format the card in the Memory Craft if you do not see the appropriate folder(s) on 

your USB stick or Compact Flash card. You do this by inserting the USB or CF card in the machine and 

touching the Set mode button. Scroll forward until you see Format ATA Card and/or USB memory and touch 

the Yes button - this will place the correct folders/sub folder on the card in order for the machine 

to be able to read the designs from the card. 

You only have to do this one time; after setting up the folders, here is how to write .jef designs to 

your card: 

1. Remove the card from the embroidery machine. 

2. Insert the compact flash card into your computer. 

3. Launch Windows explore on your computer by clicking Start, Computer. Find the .jef design you want 

to write to the card on your cd. (Your design can be stored anywhere on the computer, such as on a 

hard drive or on a cd.) Right click on it to get a drop-down menu. Click Copy. 

4. Maneuver to the drive for the card. Double click on the drive to open it. If there is only one main 

folder on the card, right-click on it and choose paste from the menu - if there is a sub-folder inside 

the main folder, right-click on the sub-folder and choose paste from the menu - this will place the 

design inside the folder. 

5. Remove the card from your computer. Insert it into the embroidery machine. 

6. Touch the Open Mode button or touch the PC Card tab. 

Main folders and sub folders for all Janome embroidery machines: 

Note: when writing designs to memory for machines that have sub-folders, the designs must be written 

to the sub-folder, not the main folder. Designs within the sub-folder cannot be inside another folder, 

only the .jef designs themselves can be put inside the sub-folder. 

300E: Main folder Embf5 - no sub-folder 

350E: Main folder Embf5 - sub-folder MyDesign 

MC9500/9700: Main folder Embf5 - no sub-folder 

MC10000: PC_Link folder - no sub-folder 

MC10001: Folders Embf5 through Embf16 - no sub-folders 

MC11000: Main folder EMB - sub-folder EMBF 

MB-4: Main folder EMB - sub-folder EMBF 

200E: Main folder EMB - sub-folder EMBF 

Cards in 64mb size, the compact flash card adapters and USB sticks can be ordered from your local 

Janome dealer. The Janome part number for the card is 003CFCARD, and the adapter is 003PCADAPTER. 

Size of media cards/usb flash drives by machine 

200e 

USB flash drive 2gb or SMALLER 

Compact flash 2gb or Smaller 

300e 

350E 

USB flash drive 1gb or smaller 

Compact Flash card 1 gb or smaller 

9500/9700/10000/10001 

owners of 1000/10001 with windows xp 32 bitservice pack 2 can use direct pc machine link usb cable 

link USB driver Jsmc850 

MC11k tools 

usb cable link usb driver jsmc860 

USB flash drive 2gb or smaller 

Compact flash card 2 gb or smaller 

11000SE 

same as 11000 

MB4 

M770 tools 

USB transfer cable 

ISB driver JsmcMul 

USB flash drive 2 gb or smaller 

compact Flash card 2 gb or smaller 

Machine stitch limits 

Each Memory carft machine model has a specific stitch limit, any embroidery design (JEF) within that 

stitch limit will transfer into the machine as one whole design. If that stitch limit is exceeded per 

one hooping, the design will be automatically be split into 2 separate designs, providing Janome 

software is used. 

MB4 200.000 stitches 

MC11000/11000SE 100,000 stitches 

MC9700/9500/350E/300E/200E 64000 stitches. 

Machine built in memory for design storage. 

MB4 Unit 3mb, RCS 3mb 

11000/11000SE 3mb 

10000/10001/9700/9500/350/300/ 720 kb (.thats less than a digital photo so be warned) 

200 524 kb, very small. 

Thanks "alex" for tech sheet - I've printed it for the future reference. 

Den

Okay! I was putting those 3 files which Janome sent me, on an empty flash drive, however I have never placed any empty flash drive in 10000 before putting these files on flash card.I reformatted my old flash card and placed it on my 10000. After that I got no error and it questioned me that if I want to do the formatting. I inserted yes, and then it did. so, did not need the brand new ($29.99) flash card! In the "Set"/"Common Set" I can now see the option to format ATA PC card, but it wasnt there before doing the upgrade! I think I do not know the working of these new machines which are computerized, but certainly keep making beautiful things!