Hi,

I used to ooh and awe over the newest TOL machines when they came out and just had to have it. Now I wonder if we really need the latest and greatest. I mean if you have what used to be TOL or a machine you are just happy with, then why the need for the newest models? Would like to hear other's thoughts on this. 

A couple of months ago I purchased the Brother Innovis Quattro 6000D for $6995 and paid another $500.00 for Upgrade I. Since then Brother has come out with Upgrades II & III. Brother also just came out with the Quattro 2 which I am not sure what it is selling for. I love my Quattro but I already had a Janome MC9500, a Brother PC8500D, and a Singer Quantum XL150 (not a Futura), although I did purchase the Singer Futura 250 for my step mother because that's the machine she wanted, bought hers when I bought my Quattro. She had never had an embroidery machine so I told her to pick one and I'd buy it. She loves her Futura! Now Janome has come out with the Horizon MC12000 and ladies on the Groups are raving about it, so I began to wonder if we really need the latest and greatest. Thanks for listening! 

I like my Husqvarna Designer SE, I burnt the motor out, so have had that repaired and amazing they could get the part and was ready for pickup, I want to expand my business and be able to do caps so I just bought the Brother PR600 II, it is sitting waiting for me when I get home If and when I out grow that one I will consider going to the 15 or 16 needle machine. 

I got my first embroidery machine almsot 2 years ago - Janome MC200E - an still love it very much - I keep it unplugged so if we get a lightening storm it won't get hurt. Event thought I see so many beautiful larger designs - they are not enough to get me to get a different machine. I also have multiple sewing machines, my grandmothers that is just there for rememberance sake, my first Sears that I still use for simple tasks, my second (last ) sears that I use for upholstery, and a Brother self threading I got a few years ago on a rummage sale - that I love and use for almsot everything now.

Guess I don't have the feeling that I need to upgrade even though hubby keeps asking me - I would rather spend the money on well deserved vactions for him (and me) at this time in our lives - only 2 years ago we becasme empty nesters and before that always made sure the kids went to summer camps etc and never did much for ourselves.

I agree with you on that! My other two machines only do up to a 5 x 7 design, I wanted to do 6 x 10 designs, so my son bought me the Quattro which does up to a 8 x 12 design and does Disney designs. I was talking about those that already have a TOL that does the larger designs though. For example, ladies that have a Quattro drooling over the Quattro 2 or the new Janome MC12000, or ladies that have the Janome 11000 SE drooling over the new machines. I'm not condemming anyone for wanting the latest and greatest, nor am I trying to start anything on this. I am just curious what the reasons are as I know we all are different in our opinions.

For me, I have the Quattro and it does everything I want and then some, so I am very content and am not tempted to want a new machine, but that might change down the road. Hehe! Just wondering what would make someone want to shell out 10k for the new Janome, that's a lot of money.

I can drool as I only have a 5x7 and I know a lot of people on here only have a 4x4. What would make someone want the new Janome is that they don't have anything near it in size or features. That's me. I know of one family that traded in their Janome 10000SE for the Janome 11000SE. A mother and 2 daughters. I am drooling over getting their used 10000SE. But can't afford it, so will just drool.

I can drool but it all comes down to what are you going to do with it and is that worth it! I started with a Pfaff Creative 2.0 which had a large hoop, I wanted to grand dream hoop but couldn't see the extra $5,000! When my machine died after a couple of years (a fatal design flaw in the machine) I went up to the Creative 4.0 which had the option of the grand dream ME unit or the smaller; why would I want smaller, really! 

ALso had the Janome with a 4 x 4 hoop which is really a backup then bought the BabyLock 6 needle in July. Everything has its pros and cons, again it boils down to "what do you intend to do with it". I would never have a plain ME machine with no sewing machine but then I sew a lot too. The 6 needle is a dream but I have to go to a sewing machine to complete projects  I do love the size and speed for doing FSL.

Do you need? No! Yearn, crave, want, wish, desire...oh yes.

I would have to justify why I would be spending half the cost of a new car on an embroidery machine. If it's for business, maybe I could go a multi needle, major upgrade. If it's for personal use, I'll have to win the lottery! 'Till then I'll have to stick with my 15 year old Brother 8500 that does 5 x 7 designs.

I did not read this at all as you "wanting to start anything" You raise a very valid point about human beings wanting the newer, bigger and better. That is just part of nature for a lot of us. It was only after I came so close to death that my mentality changed. Now I am more about making memories for my family, esp my hubby, than I am about materialistic things and storing up treasure on earth. But I also am just a personal crafter. For someone who does this as a buisness they have a very valid reason for wanting the new item. Maybe it is for the new improved features that will make their life easier, or may be it is for a business tax write off.

My first embroidery machine was a Futura 200. Nice little starter machine, but I quickly ran out of patience having to keep the computer connected.

So I upgraded to the Singer XL6000. 

Then at a sewing convention, I saw the Brother Duetta 4500D. My friend and I had gone together...she to look specifically at machines...me just to check out things. We both came home with the new Brother. It embroiders like a dream, and with the Singer XL6000 set up for sewing, I can keep the Brother set up for embroidery.

Do I look at newer machines and drool? Oh, yes But I leave them in the store and keep stitching on the ones I have. 

I am still learning new techniques and learning to use different types of feet, so the newness still hasn't passed yet.

Some of us might need the TOL machine. There may be many of us who run a home business and the newest TOL machine would assist in producing a better product or saving time. Most likely most of us would like to have one, though. My case is different, though. I neither run a home business nor lust over a new TOL machine. However, this being said, I most likely will get the new Janome Horizon 12000. Here's why. I have been without my Janome MC11000SE since May 18, 4 months. The dealer has been doing his best but it seems like getting a new (or even a used) stepper motor to repair the machine has been terribly elusive. As a result, I am considering purchasing the new TOL Janome Horizon 12000.

If I'm considering an expensive repair versus a new and better machine, I always opt for newer and better. I just haven't had that problem with the sewing/embroidery machines yet. Household appliances..well that's a different story. LOL Every one of them has had to be replaced over the last 5 years.

I don't drool over new machines but do sometimes wish I had a little bigger hoop, or had the Brother that reads a flashdrive instead of a card. I am just so very thankful to have the machines I do have. Until the Lord blesses me with a different machine I'll keep on using and loving the ones I have.

bought a Pfaff Creative Vision 5.0, upgraded to the 5.5. Took me 3 years to pay it off, not to mention buying the software. Now they come out with The Pfaff Creative Vision. Only want to give a 1/3 of what I paid for it as a trade in for the new. For me, I don't do that much sewing to warrent giving my machine back and STILL pay thousands more for the newer. YES I would love to have the newest tol, but I'm happy with what I have. My dream machine is a 6 or 12 needle embroidery machine  Come on Power Ball!  Happy Sewing.