Hi,
After having many troubles in starting my old machine (the build is 1992, I changed to electronic card so finally it works. Now the problem, according to me is how to communicate between the PC and machine. Any one has this machine ? If yes, then what to use and which system? I mean (MS-Dos or Windows and which version?) I have tried some which I found over the Net, but I get the "communication error #2" again and again on my machine. Actually I use Win 7 PC...USB to RS232... 9-25 pins ... original Toy cable machine I think the data is well exchanged but it is not enough to do the embroidery job ...
Help is appreciated

• Like 1
The first thing you must do is change your operating system and install something which was around during 1992, such as Windows 3.1 or Windows XP may also work. I have a doubt about Windows 7 because it may not communicate with your kind of machine. I got this on the webbut but I feel your machine is old 
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I bought one of these Toyota 820's used.  The guy gave me the whole computer that had the Communications Driver utility (PMCCOMM) by Pantograms Mfg, Co., Inc (1998) and the Pantograms software on it to actuall transfer to the unit.  The Pantrograms software is called "Design File Manager". 

The Pantograms software and i believe Communications driver both appear to have dongles (Hardware locks). 

I couldn't come to terms using and being stuck with an old windows 95 machine.  The Hard disk is past its useful life.  So this is what i did it took me forever to get it right.  

Windows 95 is primitive enough that i figured with generic drivers and such (stuff VMware could provide or just work with whatever defaults) that it'd be enough to use the comm driver and Pantograms junk if i just simply ported it over to the Virtual session.  I ended up using Acronis Truimage to make an image disk of the whole hard drive and (using the ISO file as "bootable") restored it directly into VMware as a Windows 95 virtual machine.  It ran through a stupid number of "new drivers found" along with needing at one time to go through like something "yep i know 32 times" for some particular device or two things actually run smooth.  I thought i was in some kind of never ending loop but i think one driver kind of sees a device "32" times... Just be patent.  

I tried using the open source Virtualbox but had an issue sharing a serial port in the virtual session.  So i obtained a recent copy of VMware Workstation (12 Pro).  

I actually recorded all of it an made a video but haven't posted it to youtube yet.  If people are interested i could do that eventually.  I'll never have to worry about the PC crashing and at this point only leaves anything breaking on the actual machine which i'm not really worried about.  The power supplies are a joke for someone like me to replace and the actual circuit boards look rather primitive to repair.

However an animal of mine did chew through the data cable (DB9 to DB25).  I'm only guessing the actual cable in between that convert db9 to RJ45 and then RJ45 to DB25 were Reverse cables (Yost) and not patch/crossover.  I've heard all that was needed was a null modem cable (i'm generally only familar with the DB9 types) but...  found a diagram that was slightly different but perhaps since those little "Ends" are configurable the pinout change from Reverse/Yost to Null was done at one of those ends manually sorta.

i could make the whole VM session avail however i think the Windows 95 license ironically would prevent me from doing so.  The Pantograms software has a hardware lock so without that it's useless.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 3:26 PM, Reeva said:

Iam tring to EFP use windows 10 with EFP (Embroidery Font Plus) with my Toyota 820&

and getting error 2 message

As far as I remember, if you get a "COMMUNICATIONS ERROR2" response, then the issue is that you have a communication problem between your Toyota, and your computer.  Basically (I believe) that this error is telling you that the machine did not receive information it expected from the computer. "Embroidery Fonts Plus" software uses .DST files... and then "File", "Send To", "Tajima Emb. Machine", and "Via Communication Port".

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have one of these machines. I have a cable from my windows XP computer to the machine. I have to use this through a Virtual Computer on my Windows 10. I have a Wilcom embroidery programme to send the program to the machine. You need to use 'Tajima' file with stitches. 

Where are you? I could possibly help more but i need a Manual for the machine to check some think out, I've lost the book, have only the cover.  I've tried to get one from the Manual providers, but Toyota haven't digitised the 820 and 830,  My machine is a 830, with 9 needles.  I think the 820 is the 6 needle version.  But they are the same as far as  set up is concerned. They are brilliant machines. Please contact me if I can help I will, and if you have a manual and could copy it for me That would be brilliant. I want to pass this machine onto my grand daughter, with all the manuals.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello All,

I just got a hold of a Toyota Expert model 820 ESP with all the manuals (Service, Parts, Caps and Instruction). I have no experience in using an embroidery machine or software but am very excited to get started and learn what I need to start creating some cool products. I have windows 10 on two of my PC's which I also use for my vinyl plotter and silhouette software and a MAC PC for administrative work. What embroidery software is compatible with the 820? this is at least a start. Please assist. I can also provide a copy of the manual requested by some of you.

Thank [email protected] 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Desertdog72 said:

Hello All,

I just got a hold of a Toyota Expert model 820 ESP with all the manuals (Service, Parts, Caps and Instruction). I have no experience in using an embroidery machine or software but am very excited to get started and learn what I need to start creating some cool products. I have windows 10 on two of my PC's which I also use for my vinyl plotter and silhouette software and a MAC PC for administrative work. What embroidery software is compatible with the 820? this is at least a start. Please assist. I can also provide a copy of the manual requested by some of you.

Thank [email protected]&

Any software can be used to create machine embroidery designs. Since the embroidery machine uses a universal DST format. If you need to re-design the embroidery machine, then you need a serial cable for the COM port. and compatible software for example free inkstitch.

inkstitch-v1_29.1-windows-en_US.zip

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 10:49 PM, Mary_D said:

As far as I remember, if you get a "COMMUNICATIONS ERROR2" response, then the issue is that you have a communication problem between your Toyota, and your computer.  Basically (I believe) that this error is telling you that the machine did not receive information it expected from the computer. "Embroidery Fonts Plus" software uses .DST files... and then "File", "Send To", "Tajima Emb. Machine", and "Via Communication Port".

I have a question about this? The last statement that you made, so in order to send it to the Toyota 830 ESP i have to simply make sure that the file is .dst and send it through (File>Send To>Tajima Emb. Machine>Via Communication Port). I did so. What do I do in the Toyota 830 ESP to receive the file? There is a box that pops up on the computer that says l  the title "Toyota Manager" but nothing happens. And I'm puzzled on how to make my toyota 830 to accept the file after I sent it from computer. Can anyone walk me throught the processing what to do in the embroidery machine please?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...